Sunday, August 26, 2007

Blogging my art

Hi everyone, I'm Melesse.

After a number of years of cranking out illuminated pages, I am attempting to collect images of some of these pieces. Many of them were never scanned or photographed. Some, I have photographs that I will scan in (just as soon as I find that binder... I think it is still in a box somewhere). So anyway, there will be an odd combination of low and high end pieces shown here. Pieces that took a day and pieces that took months. Pieces done over the better part of a decade. My early work will look like early work... it goes to figure. Everyone has a learning curve and none of us start as masters.

If you happen to own a piece I have done, I'd really be interested in getting a digital photo. If you can help me out with that, I'd appreciate it.

It's kind of sad to know that at least one of my best pieces has been mostly destroyed due to carelessness, and I never did get a photo of it finished and whole. Another piece went to a person who will probably never speak a civil word to me again... so I'm not holding my breath for a photo on that one.

I am still amazed that you can put so much effort into a single page for a person, and they will tell you that they love it, but after years of begging you may never get a photograph of your art from them. A word to the scribes out there, photograph your work yourself... even if you are sick of looking at it now... someday you will care and kick yourself. Just like me. Never expect anyone to photograph it for you after the fact. You'll probably just end up disappointed.

No comments: